The role of the teacher is to create the conditions for invention rather than provide ready made knowledge. Seymour Papert
Biology, Life Science or Sustainability Teacher Grant Guidelines
The United Way of Franklin County and Novozymes would like to offer a biology, life science or sustainability grant application from November 10 – December 31, 2019. This will provide students with activities and experiences that engage them in real-world situations where biology, life sciences or sustainability are key to a positive reaction.
Every child learns differently, and a great way to cover many diverse learning styles is by teaching through engaging, hands-on activities. Field trips often open the door for new and exciting experiences for students. Novozymes is committed to support innovative methods of teaching STEAM in k-12 classrooms in Franklin County. As a biotechnology company that focuses on developing enzymes, they are offering grant funding to catalyze activities that create a better understanding of life science, biology and biotechnology.
STEAM Imagination Lab
Here’s an option: Write a grant that includes a field trip to the Franklinton Middle School STEAM lab that already holds many activities to make your grant go farther. The STEAM lab has digital microscopes, the Micro Eye microscope, spheros, cues, snap circuits, makey makey’s and many building opportunities including legos, keva planks, brain flakes and more. Check with the media center for a list of materials available. Teacher Grants will give students the opportunity to visit and explore the destination STEAM Imagination Lab.
Option: Hire a bus, cater a meal and hire a professional to teach something new?
Option: Bring some of the materials to you at the school, order lunch, and hire a professional to come to your class.
- Grants will be used in the 2019-2020 school year.
- Grants up to $500 may be requested for Biology, life science or sustainability.
- Grants will be awarded in the science discipline for field trips (most of which involve STEM/STEAM related topics and locations) that create a positive impact on students.
- Applicants have been notified that winners will be notified and have funds awarded in February 2020.
- The final deadline to submit all grants was December 31, 2019
- A final evaluation with photos will be required within 30 days of completion.
- This application has been reviewed and approved by the principal of the school.
- I am a teacher in a North Carolina certified K-12 school located in Franklin County.
- This is the only application for this project I have submitted.
- This project does not request money for salaries or professional development.
- I was awarded a 2018 grant, and I have submitted a final report for that funding.
Thank you for teaching our youth and thank you for having the vision to succeed. We look forward to partnering with you for many years to come.