Welcome to the STEAM Imagination Lab
Located at Franklinton Middle School
The United Way of Franklin County, Franklin County School District and the Boys & Girls Club have collaborated to create a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) Imagination lab to invest in the future of our children and our community. The STEAM Imagination Lab is housed at Franklinton Middle School but will be available to the entire school district and community as a destination for learning. We have completed the initial stages of the up fit of the STEAM lab with many donations from the community and an outpouring of volunteer support.
This lab will provide opportunities for self-directed teaching and learning for youth and adults. This resource will provide a safe and stable environment for those who need a structured learning atmosphere and may struggle in traditional learning environments. The lab will enable our children to explore the sciences, technology, engineering, art and math in an environment that promotes innovation and creativity. This STEAM Lab will act as a catalyst for future education and entrepreneurship in Franklin County. This lab will excite minds with creativity; encouraging new and non-traditional teaching techniques that support impulsiveness done right. We will offer musical instruments to create sound vibrations and communication with sound energy. We will provide interactive learning spaces to explore the anatomy of the mind and body. We expect to build a program that will enable Franklin County to be a full participant in the growth and success of our society.
We will offer this Lab for regional use to outside groups and other schools and the United Way of Franklin County has committed to work with the Boys & Girls club as well as the schools to offer STEAM summer camps beginning in 2019. Additionally, partnerships with regional businesses and industry are planned which will influence the curriculum to give students real world experience.
We need to increase reading proficiency, math proficiency, science proficiency and the interest in learning. Education is the only way out of poverty. We must understand why we are here. We need to find a better way to educate our children and look forward to our partnership with you and others in the community to make this happen.
Many members of the community have donated time, energy and materials to making this possible.
Thank you to the following companies and partners who have donated materials for the upfit alone:
- First Choice, Cabinets
- National Managment, cleaning and waxing the floors
- Sherwin Williams, paint
- Franklin County Schools for space, heat and air and numerous hours assisting in the up fit
- Toney Ace for paint and supplies
- Sheeetz for lunch for volunteers during day of caring
- Stay Stranded artist Stephen Beckstrand, murals and creation of signs
- Duke Surplus, furniture
- Oldcastle, mulch for the grounds
- Covenant Trucking, hauling the mulch
- Novozymes, lab cabinets and other office supplies and numerous volunteer groups and hours
- Home depot,supplies
- Perry Glass for cutting light covers
- Majestic Marble for amazing quartz counter tops and sinks
- Lowes for light covers
- Jerry's Artarama for art supplies
- Stanley Home Improvement and Anthony Rivas Renovations for laying the carpet and cove base
- Rustic for providing discounts on materials and carpet
- Tony Silva Paint for painting the ceilings at a huge discount
- TROSA for ceiling tiles and chairs
- Writeyboard for creating white board desks
- Louisburg College for Tables
- Girl Scout troop 508 for flowers and volunteer efforts
- And the community as a whole for all of the amazing volunteers
NOW HERE'S WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU: Please consider donating the following items, not just today but for months to come. These items will be an amazing addition to the STEAM lab and will help each child experiment and learn in the future.
Please drop these items off at the following locations:
- Franklinton Middle School
- The United Way of Franklin County
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! We look forward in creating great minds for the future!!